What to Expect When Switching to Professional, Clean Haircare
So you've tried a couple "clean" shampoos and they sucked. We feel you -- we've been there and we know how frustrating it can be! That's why we're sharing some wisdom from our experts so you know what to expect when moving away from the toxins found in conventional shampoos and find the clean haircare routine that works for you.
The Effect Ingredients Have in Haircare
Did you know that when you're switching haircare, your new line may use different technology and chemistry? Your hair might just need more time to adjust to the new stuff you're putting on it to feel the full positive effects!
If you've been using non-professional products (drug store, health food store, anything not sold in salon), or silicone-based products, your hair may have a buildup on the outside. This is un-ideal, because while it makes your hair feel good for a while, it's actually having negative effects such as:
- Your scalp may not be able to breath enough to function properly, and you may see flakes, irritation and itchiness.
- No matter which treatments, leave-ins, or nice shampoos/conditioners you're using, the nutrients won't penetrate into the hair, essentially dehydrating it and...
- This may be causing you to wash more than you need to!
We've even had some studio guests using good quality, professional lines and unfortunately still having challenges with their hair and scalp.
So... what happened when you switched to a different cleansing system without all the buildup? Your hair was so used to it's environment, it didn't really know what to do!
What Happens When You Switch to Clean Haircare
There are two ways this can go. You're going to love us immediately and wonder how you didn't switch sooner (the next section will apply to you!). Or... you're going to message us that it's not doing what you though it would. Common challenges we see when people are making a change to clean haircare are:
- Less lather at first: The shampoo has way more to work through initially, so expect a little less, and double cleanse if you need to. Don't be afraid to add more water as well, Innersense's Hairbaths, for example, are very concentrated so water helps to activate them.
- Itchy scalp: As long as the itch is mild, and goes away within a short period, don't worry. This is likely your scalp's reaction to the buildup detoxing. If it continues for a prolonged period of time or is severe, you may be allergic to an ingredient and we recommend finding another product.
- Frizz + Dryness: We know... this one sucks. But your hair has been so used to being weighed down or coated. As that comes off, before the new nutrients get inside to sustainably nourish your hair, it's going to be a little unruly. This will absolutely subside as the hair gets properly fed and hydrated.
- Over production of oils: Again, your scalp may not be used to what's happening and can react by producing more oils. Once it realizes it has enough hydration, it should calm. If it doesn't, we may recommend a different cleanser and conditioner for you.
When we're consulting with folks and helping them switch over, we always recommend sticking with your new products for at least a month before adjusting. This allows your hair to start to work with the new products and for you to truly see the positive results. Your hair might feel a little different from what it did before, but that feeling is YOUR HAIR. Not your hair with a layer of stuff on it. Embrace it!
The Benefits of Using Clean Haircare
There are some incredible benefits to finding a professional, and clean ingredient haircare routine, we've seen all of these first hand. It's pretty much why we do what we do! Some benefits that we see are:
- Healthier Hair: As the products are being used, some pretty incredible luxury organic chemistry is happening. The amazing ingredients are able to go inside the hair and truly nourish and strengthen from the inside out. Hair is shiny, bouncy, strong and luscious.
- Healthier Scalp: We can't say this one enough. Your scalp is skin, and while society tells us that we need a 5 step skincare routine, we often expect our scalp to make do on one or two shampoos a week. Innersense Organic Beauty has high quality, skin care grade ingredients in it, so even when you're just cleansing and conditioning, it's actually supporting a healthy scalp. We have many clients that have noticed their flakes go away, they produce less sebum (scalp oil), all irritation is gone!
- Lower maintenance hair: Since your hair is not being weighed down with buildup, and it's fully nourished, you may notice that you wash your hair less, it cooperates more and you need less products. We love this, you shouldn't need a bathroom full of products, just the right few that work for you and your hair!